Friday, January 25, 2008

Goodbye Hello.....



Well.......I'm back....finally...sort of....about seven weeks ago, I wrote my last post...

We said "goodbye" to one home (Washington DC area) and "hello" to another (Fort Drum, NY). Nothing new in the seventeen years I have been married to the Army....errr.....my soul mate (I LOVE U, Mr. Sunshine!).....

This new home is much smaller (from 2400 sq.ft and a full basement to 1600 + NO basement- you do the math), but we have what we need. And all of my favorite, familiar things have found a home again....


Remember these guys? My button jars were part of one of my very first blog posts....not quite sure why but these old jars have become special to me. Maybe it's because half of them came to me because a good friend left them in my car after a memorable weekend of junking with my SSODS sisters last spring. They'd only cost her $1 each-what a steal!- and it would have cost five times that to mail them to her (they are heavy)....so she let me keep them....Every time I see them (and I used ALLOT of buttons last fall on my spoon ornies), it reminds me of that very fun weekend...When I unwrapped them from deep in a box full of art supplies and paper goodies, I had to smile.....Thank you Diana!

....And my non-working alarm clocks, another part of that great junking weekend. Seems most of my favorite things are attached to memories....I think I previously posted pictures of them also...See the clock all the way to the left? With the red accents....funny story about that one.....all the jarring and moving around must have given it a new life....about an hour after I unwrapped it, the alarm went off...scared the pants off of me! lol....



And above are some more of my favorite things...the quilt was made by Mr. Sunshine's great Grandmother- I love the vivid colors. I found the gameboards and the doilly stretcher (hanging next to the quilt) on my Ohio junking trip also (don't think I will be able to go this year- boohoo!)

In my new "simplified" lifestyle (ie, cramming 2 pounds of sardines into an 8 oz. tin), I will be working in a small seating area right off the kitchen. No more "Me" room, no more guest bedroom/ studio. Now anyone who enters the house will get to see how a messy artist works- oh joy....

This is by no means organized and/or ready for work yet, but this is how my work area looks right now....

I will also be sharing this kitchen/seating area/studio with the Wii and Playstation (and the TV and children that they are attached to), so we will see how this works....


But hey, there's a nice view today....everything white and frosty past the stained glass....great weather to stay home and update a blog....maybe read a few too....



2 comments:

Mockingbird Hill said...

Well, well, well,...look what the New Year brought in!! So good to hear from you and so glad the move is over and you've settled in!

Love your button jars and what a great story to go along with that! You were the absolue winner in that deal.

Anyway...glad you're back!

Cassie

Cookie said...

There are so many times I would love to scale down the size of the house I live in, but how do you ever decide what stays and what goes? It's got to be a one-handed gesture because I know my other hand would be pulling back in what I was pushing out. I adore your button jars. I remember playing for hours at my Nan's with her button box. A makeshift game of "concentration" if you will :)
Very much enjoyed your blog!
Cookie