Sunday, June 1, 2008

Show and Tell Sunday....

It's been a long while since I have been able to participate in a Show and Tell Sunday.
As a matter of fact, I haven't showed or told since the very first week: Analise's (of Sugar*Sugar - what a great blog!) Show us your Buttons Challenge.
If you are unfamiliar with Show and Tell Sunday, hop on over here to see Cerri at Little Pink Studio and check it all out. She's hosting this week's Show and Tell and has links to all of the other blogs participating.
This week's topic is studio storage.
Since my studio is currently attached to my kitchen (ugh), creative, somewhat attractive storage is mandatory. And since it's in the main part of the house, I couldn't go too girly this time (rats). I have always, always been attracted to old utilitarian storage. It's always what I gravitate towards at auctions and thrift shops: old containers, wooden metal, wicker. You name it, if it can hold something else, it's magnetic for me.

This is the storage workhorse of my "studio". A cheap discount store bookcase and quite a collection of photo storage boxes.

I used various scrap papers to prettify them just a bit.

These boxes are the perfect size to hold all sorts of loose "smalls"....including...

No, not the title of a naughty cooking show, just storage for all of my as yet unpainted (naked) flatware. I paint tons of vintage silver during the holidays (they make very unique ornaments). This is where they stay until they get blinged up...

Looks like a regular old metal file box, right? This one is slightly unique though....

It opens from the side instead of the top, with little shelves inside (reminds me of an oven). Perfect hiding place for acrylic stamp sets!


I love this old cigar box! I use it allot as a product photo prop. When it's not being used for pictures, it's home for my rick rack trims....


An old cheese box is the perfect size to hold standard shipping tags (the kind you get at Staples), and it keeps them at my fingertips for quick access.

I made a shoe box to hold all of my glitter, but then I just couldn't do it! Glitter makes me smile every time I see it, a bit of crafty sunshine in my work area....Having it sit out like this isn't the best use of space but it makes me smile....

An old lunch pail given to me by my in-laws. They know how much I love junk! And the separate tray sections happen to be perfect for various wires and jingle bells....I used an old-fashioned label maker to label everything in the bookcase- it makes for quick retrieval....


An old berry basket filled to the brim with chipboard letters...


Smaller Chipboard letters, shells and sea glass look pretty in these clear jars...


What do you suppose is in this small vintage box/trunk? Look really close;there's a hint peeking out....

A portion of my ribbon....I cannot pass the bargain ribbon bins at craft stores....you just never know what you will find.....Hang with me we are almost done...
Last but not least, I keep all of my thin satin ribbon in this old cash register drawer...


It holds the rolls neatly and looks kinda cool too....I love the way the "arms" that held bills in place also keep the rolls nice and snug...

So that's it for me this week....can't wait to see what next week's show-n-tell is....

'Til Next time....


10 comments:

Little Pink Studio said...

Great storage ideas! Thanks for playing along!
~Cerri

Mya said...

Your storage is fantastic. I really love it. You are so, so organized. That is one thing I need to do this year.
-Mya

Anonymous said...

Great storage ideas! I loce the rolls of ribbon in the cash register drawer! They fit so perfectly....

Danielle Dyball said...

I completely love your space. Lots of fun treasures so beautifully displayed!!

Danielle:-)

Marja Rijnsburger said...

Great ideas. The old cigar boxes are beautiful.
Nice Studio.
Marja

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

That drawer is perfect for ribbon storage! Wish i had one! Cami

Jeanie said...

Everything is so tidy! I love your containers -- it's a beautiful space! Thanks for inviting us in!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

The ribbon in the drawers makes and especially pretty picture!

LiLi M. said...

Hi, I'm a bit late, but still enjoying your great ideas about storage. I'm not a tupperware or plastic container person, though they would be useful in my studio. I'm always looking for beautiful storage inspiration and you are providing that! I'm in a challenge to reorganize my craftroom so I hope to have a beautiful organized room like yours within a few weeks, thanks for inspiration!

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

Hey Steph, can you come and organize my studio? Everything looks nice and organized and easy to get to. The complete opposite of my work area:) You have inspired me to do better!
Tracy