Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Summer in a Bowl....


I don't know about everywhere else, but we have a had a hot and muggy week so far...

And as I shared awhile back, I have taken on a new, healthier lifestyle (these two things will connect to the post title in just a sec, hang with me)...think I will talk about it occasionally just to keep myself honest. So far, though, it has been a pleasure to eat a little healthier and treat myself a little better.

It's just too hot and muggy (and stormy) to turn the stove on today, so I decided to try a new, no stove needed recipe from YOU on a Diet (the book I have been following the past several weeks): Lisa's Great Gazpacho.

Don't know who this particular Lisa is but her gazpacho really hit the spot on a hot afternoon....added bonus: this recipe uses canned tomatoes, not fresh, and given the recent salmonella scare across the country, that's a good thing...

SO here goes...

Lisa's Great Gazpacho

4 servings (about 1 cup each) * 120 calories per serving

--------------------------------------------

1 Can (28 oz)crushed or diced tomatoes, undrained

1 cup tomatoe juice (I had V8 so that's what I used)

1 cup each: diced (1/4 inch) red or orange bell pepper, unpeeled cucumber

1/4 finely chopped red onion

2 green onions, finely chopped

1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped

3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar

3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 dashes (or to taste- I like it spicy, used more) hot red pepper sauce

2 garlic cloves, minced

Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)

Optional garnishes: chopped fresh parsley, diced avocado

------------------------------------

Place all ingredients except salt, pepper, and garnishes in large bowl and combine. Coarsely puree about half the mixture in blender or food processor (I like it a little smoother so I put it all in a food processor) and return it to the bowl; stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours before serving. Garnish as desired.


There you have it! Easy-peasy, no cooking summer goodness that's good for you too....Enjoy!

Happy Tuesday, everyone!


4 comments:

Christa from Chloe Rose said...

The gauzpacho looks delish.....if I could only talk my family into cold soup.....everything has to be warm! I'm reading that same book too. Best wishes to you on your program!

Have a wonderful day!

Christa
Chloe Rose

Nancy said...

Steph - Yep, that little book I found is a hoot! You have the neatest most interesting blog! I'll have to come back when I have more time - for now I'll just pop out your playlist - I love your music on here. Nancy

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

I don't know why but...I've always been afraid of Gazpacho. I guess I'll haave to breakdown at try it this summer. God knows I need to take better care of myself too! I still have tomatoes in the freezer from last summers garden!!

Georgia Peachez said...

I'm going to try this! I love gazpacho. Thanks for stopping over to my blog! xo, suzy